Digital Timecard – Payroll Data Integration
By integrating payroll system data, this construction company anticipated saving $2,000 by eliminating low-valued manual data processing and resolving the clerical errors.
Average Savings Per Project
Timecard Processing Work Reduction
Reduction in Payroll Errors
The client rolled out digital time management to the field to eliminate manual data entry. They observed that they are spending half a day a week manipulating the field data before submitting the payroll.
They are also looking to expand its use across the organization using the workspace project simultaneously. However, this delay is affecting approximately 40 staff and their payroll clerks per project. This vital issue pushed the company to seek an alternative approach before expanding the footprint of the digital timecard deployment.
The client’s interim solution is to develop a macro that would better process their data and create an integration-ready export file that could be easily reviewed by a payroll clerk.
The current project data still needs to be processed manually. The management still needs to separate the project and shift extras from the labor hours before uploading it into the payroll and finance systems. It requires them to spend 4-6 hours going through each timecard file.
This work is painstaking and error-prone. Common mistakes cause the upload to fail or produce an incorrect payroll. No additional business value is added from this manual, administrative work. While field data collection of project hour data was significantly improved, the ongoing need for manual data manipulation greatly diminished the overall value proposition. As a result management was reconsidering the digital timecard rollout due to fears of a ballooning administrative burden.
- Business logic would be applied to timecard data to automatically separate hours (standard and overtime) from the project and shift extras.
- Processed information would be formatted for ease of readability and rapid error detection by payroll staff.
- Payroll review would be conducted in less than 10 minutes per project.
- Upon acceptance, the data would be parsed and automatically loaded into the appropriate systems with success and error reporting.
TURNING DATA INTO A BUSINESS ASSET
With a clear, shared understanding of the ideal outcome, Aedo data engineers went to work. They automated the extraction of weekly timecards to the Aedo Hub. Once there, the labor and project data is immediately available. Also this data is available for data insights in the future.
With the data secured in the Aedo Hub:
- Business logic was applied to delineate labor hours from other miscellaneous information.
- Presentation and formatting are automatically applied for ease of payroll administrator review.
- Reviewer Acceptance automates upload – seamlessly integrating timecard data into the payroll and finance systems.
In addition, impactful data insights are immediately available – no need to wait for payroll and financial systems to complete processing:
- Project hours: daily, weekly, overall
- Aggregate project hours
- OT Percentage
- Project Extra Percentage
With these impactful project data insights, new opportunities emerge such as project benchmarking and monitoring critical KPIs to identify and address problem projects more quickly.
They are identifying trends, issues, and opportunities much earlier and developing benchmarks and best practices to improve overall project performance.
Incorporating crew and rate information into the Aedo Hub for new valuable data insights, such as:
- Labor costs
- Blended rates
- Apprentice ratios
- Overtime cost %
The client is now on a journey of continuous performance improvement through construction data insights.